Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No disk to install OS to on iMac

I just received an iMac as a gift and it was wiped before given to me. When trying to install OS X El Capitan on it there is no disk listed to install it to. I ran first aid on everything listed on Disk Utility and it all appears to be good. I've attached a photo of Disk Utility showing what I've got. Am I missing anything? I'm not sure how to move forward from here. Please help! Thank you!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 10:42 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 1, 2021 3:07 PM in response to filmfunatl

Also worth noting, I couldn't get either of these to work as well and there were no issues w/ the HD previously, nor does it appear there's anything wrong with it now when I look at "verify disk"

• On an Intel-based Mac, you can use Option-Command-R at startup to upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac. Exceptions:
    • If macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later was never previously installed, you will receive the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available. 
    • If your Mac has the Apple T2 Security Chip and you never installed a macOS update, you will receive the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.
  • On an Intel-based Mac that previously used macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later, you can use Shift-Option-Command-R at startup to install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available. 

Mar 1, 2021 2:04 PM in response to babowa

I am having this same issue while in Internet Recovery mode. I erased the HD per the instructions here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065, but when attempting to install OSX it doesn't give an option for a drive (pic attached) and unsure what I need to do in Disk Utility to restore/partition, etc. Appears to be the same issue @JD1108 is having. Mine is a 2015 MBP that had Catalina on it before I cleared it to prep for trade/sale.

Mar 1, 2021 3:30 PM in response to filmfunatl

GOT IT @JD1108!!!!! My husband came home and he's better at this than me. When the HD option (of Disk Utility) I have is selected, like I have above on the 2nd screen, choose "Partition" and then name it "Macintosh HD" (or whatever you would like) and choose "Erase" in the bottom right corner of that Partition screen. When it's done, go out of Disk Utility and into the OSX Install option and the drive should be there to install the OSX.

Feb 28, 2021 1:01 PM in response to JD1108

I have no idea how you got to where this is at, but it needs to be recognized/mounted/formatted first. If this is an older Mac, then choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and GUID Partition scheme while in the recovery Disk Utility.

Note these:

• Press Option/Alt + Command + R when you boot up to enter Internet Recovery Mode.

Once you enter this mode you will be able to access an Apple server to download the version of macOS. This will be the latest macOS compatible with your Mac. Note: If you aren’t running Sierra 10.12.4 of later, this will install the version that came with your Mac.

If you don't want to install the latest version of macOS try this:

• Shift + Option/Alt + Command R (if you are running Sierra 10.12.4 or later) will install the version of MacOS that came with your Mac, or the one closest to it that is still available.

from here:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/recovery-mode-internet-3636668/

No disk to install OS to on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.