Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

best option to upgrade imac hard drive

hi all i have a 2015 iMac i bought refurbished from a local store here were i live, i think it has had some upgrades before as its showing it has 500GB ssd , but i would like options whats the best way to go about upgrading this to a 1tb , go with a external which i have but can't for the likes of me figure out how to install programs to it on mac os big sur. or take it to a shop and have them upgrade it?. any help appreciated god bless.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 12:08 PM

Installing Applications onto a non-startup drive is an inconsistent pain. Sometimes you have to first run it at least once from within your Applications folder and then copy the program onto the external drive. If you have a 1TB external SSD you might try reinstalling MacOS onto that and using it as a bootdrive rather than trying to manage applications on different drives.

If you need the ultimate speed take it into a shop.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2021 12:08 PM in response to KI7PBG

Installing Applications onto a non-startup drive is an inconsistent pain. Sometimes you have to first run it at least once from within your Applications folder and then copy the program onto the external drive. If you have a 1TB external SSD you might try reinstalling MacOS onto that and using it as a bootdrive rather than trying to manage applications on different drives.

If you need the ultimate speed take it into a shop.

best option to upgrade imac hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.