Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I cast an mp4 file (with audio) from MBP running Big Sur to Panasonic tv

How do I cast an mp4 file (with audio) from MBP2020 running Big Sur to Panasonic tv. I have installed and used Chrome, but that only casts the video and not the sound (which is coming the the MBP speakers).

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 1:13 PM

4 replies

Mar 3, 2021 1:59 PM in response to johnfromeastanglia

John,

Thank you for returning to the Apple Support Communities with this information. We can understand wanting to hear sound from the files and sounds that you stream from Google Chrome to your Chromecast. To clarify, are you able to cast sound/audio from the MacBook Pro to the Firestick?

Have you done basics on your MacBook Pro, such as powering off a rebooting? Also, take a moment to reset the SMC on your MacBook Pro. Here's How to reset the SMC of your Mac.

Also, take a moment to look over and follow these steps offered by the Google Support site:

We hope this information helps you out.

Cheers!

Mar 4, 2021 12:36 PM in response to Sharon_419

Hi Sharon

Thanks very much for your helpful reply.   Having looked at your suggested sites I can now cast my own videos and audio sound successfully.   I can only manage to do it this one way, but at least that does work.  Briefly I take the “Cast” option from the Chrome menu, then in the “Sources” dropdown box take Cast File and finally  “TV”.   That is the only way it works, any other permutation results in no audio being cast.

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards.  

Mar 2, 2021 4:21 PM in response to johnfromeastanglia

Hey there, johnfromeastanglia!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! If we understand correctly, you're experiencing an issue when you try to play an mp4 file from your MacBook Pro to your Panasonic TV. We will do all we can to help get you pointed in the right direction.

When you attempt to play this mp4, are you using AirPlay? If not, check out this guide for how to Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror your device’s screen. We hope this helps you out!

Take care!

Mar 3, 2021 4:12 AM in response to Nicholas_B2

Hello Nicholas_B2

Many thanks for your reply.   I am not using AirPlay, as my Panasonic tv does not support this.   I am using Google Chrome, casting to Chromecast (I also have an Amazon Firestick plugged in), and am trying to cast my own MP4 video with audio files - these play perfectly on the MBP with Quick Time.   The video casts, but never the sound, although the sound is audible on the MBP.    I tried muting the sound on the MBP, but no success, casting still produces video but no audio.   I have tried casting downloaded MP4 files and also .mov and .avi files, all with a similar result, no sound casts.   Short of buying an AirPlay tv, which I don’t particularly want to do at the moment, I would appreciate any other suggestions as to how I can enjoy my video/audio MP4 files cast to tv.

Regards John

how do I cast an mp4 file (with audio) from MBP running Big Sur to Panasonic tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.