Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing detected display size in inches (not resolution)

I have two functionally identical Dell displays attached to my mini, but they show up as different sizes. How do I change the detected display size in inches? This is not about the apparent resolution, it's what MacOS thinks the physical display size is.

Mac Mini (2018), Mojave 10.14.6

HDMI port -> high quality HDMI cable -> Dell U2720Q

USB-C port -> Apple HDMI adapter -> high quality HDMI cable -> Dell U2720QM

When I go to About This Mac - Displays, it shows the U2720Q detected as "27-inch 3840 x 2160)", but shows the U2720QM as "61-inch (3840 x 2160)".

How do I tell the display manager that both monitors are physically the same size (both in real life, and in supported pixels)? Currently, I have to leave one at Default for Display, and then squish the scaling on the QM monitor so it's approximately the same size text, which really hurts my eyes.

Note: the Dell U2720Q is functionally the same exact monitor as U2720QM, the only difference is the model number denotes a direct Dell sale, versus a reseller sale. So I can't understand why they're reported as different physical sizes, unless the Apple HDMI adapter is... being stupid.

Any tips on 1) how/why the Q vs. QM monitor might possibly be different, or 2) how to go into the device driver and change it's bits to recognize that both monitors are really the same thing?

Thanks!

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 4:23 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 1, 2021 1:03 PM in response to a brody

Thanks for the answer, but that doesn't address the question. I can set different resolutions in Display settings fine - the issue is the Mini thinks one display is physically 61 inches wide. So when I set the same resolution on both monitors, one display looks great - the other is crisp too, but the fonts are teeny tiny, because it thinks the monitor is wall-sized, instead of desk-sized.

There aren't any obvious settings in the Dell on screen display menus - they seem to be fairly smart at auto-adjusting themselves.

Changing detected display size in inches (not resolution)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.