Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Built in Output set to mute when Input configured with USB Mic

I have a USB microphone that when plugged in sets my macOS built in output to mute.

When this occurs the mute action descreases in increments until it hits zero at which stage the mute display is permanently visible on the screen and it is not pssible to umute the output with the USB mic plugged in.

I have my Sound Output set to Built In

I have my Sound Input set to USB Mic

I've tried creating an aggregate device in Audio MIDI Setup which made no change.

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 1:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 6:10 AM

Hello there, cinameng!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you have an external microphone plugged into your Mac and the sound output is muting. Check out this article to Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac and see if the reset resolves the issue. Also, test to see if the issue happens when you use a different external microphone plugged in.

We also suggest following these steps to Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and create a test user to see if the issue is user specific or system wide.

Let us know the results and have a terrific day!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2021 6:10 AM in response to cinameng

Hello there, cinameng!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you have an external microphone plugged into your Mac and the sound output is muting. Check out this article to Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac and see if the reset resolves the issue. Also, test to see if the issue happens when you use a different external microphone plugged in.

We also suggest following these steps to Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and create a test user to see if the issue is user specific or system wide.

Let us know the results and have a terrific day!

Built in Output set to mute when Input configured with USB Mic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.