Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Update Apps since updating to Catalina

Hi All,

A few days ago I updated my macbook pro (mid 2014) to Catalina.

Since then I'm unable to update Logic X or indeed any of my other purchased apps.

I can connect to the App store, I can see all of my purchases, but under the 'updates' tab I get the message "No updates available, all of your apps are up to date".

I only updated to Catalina to upgrade Logic....

Any ideas what I can do?

Many thanks : )

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 4:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 1:51 PM

Make a complete backup of your entire computer. Then, some things to try, in order of easiest/simplest to increasing complexity:

• Boot into Safe Mode, holding down the Shift key. This could take ~ 10-20 minutes. Restart normally and test again.
  • Log out of the App Store. Go to iCloud in System Preferences, log out of iCloud (save data if you are asked). Restart the Mac. Log back into iCloud, log back into App Store. Test again.
  • Create a new user with administrative privileges. Log out of your user, log in as the new user, test App Store updating again. If it works, it's a bit of a band aid to do it this way until the problem with your original user can be found (which takes more effort but is doable), but if it works, it works.
  • If none of the above works, you can try Recovery Mode, boot up with COMMAND-R held down. That backup is important to have before you do this. Open Disk Utility in Recovery, then select the option to reinstall the MacOS WITHOUT erasing/reformatting. This reinstalls the MacOS but does not touch your user files. The backup is a precaution, you should have a backup before doing this.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2021 1:51 PM in response to carlthesoundguy

Make a complete backup of your entire computer. Then, some things to try, in order of easiest/simplest to increasing complexity:

• Boot into Safe Mode, holding down the Shift key. This could take ~ 10-20 minutes. Restart normally and test again.
  • Log out of the App Store. Go to iCloud in System Preferences, log out of iCloud (save data if you are asked). Restart the Mac. Log back into iCloud, log back into App Store. Test again.
  • Create a new user with administrative privileges. Log out of your user, log in as the new user, test App Store updating again. If it works, it's a bit of a band aid to do it this way until the problem with your original user can be found (which takes more effort but is doable), but if it works, it works.
  • If none of the above works, you can try Recovery Mode, boot up with COMMAND-R held down. That backup is important to have before you do this. Open Disk Utility in Recovery, then select the option to reinstall the MacOS WITHOUT erasing/reformatting. This reinstalls the MacOS but does not touch your user files. The backup is a precaution, you should have a backup before doing this.

Mar 3, 2021 6:39 AM in response to steve626

Hi Again Steve... Well I sorted it although I'm not entirely sure how!

The mac wouldn't boot in safe mode for whatever reason...

Logging out of the Appstore and in again didn't help.

I tried the new user thing and no joy there, HOWEVER... when I logged back into my original user name and searched for Logic X on the App store (as if going to purchase it) I noticed that the Logic X logo had changed and I'd been updated!

Not sure which of these 2 moves did the trick but hey ho... hate it when I fix something by accident without knowing how!

Anyhow, thanks for your suggestions which did lead to a fix : )

Unable to Update Apps since updating to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.