Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Modem and/or Router

My current iMac is at the end of its life. I can't update the browser any further. When I buy a new iMac do I have to buy a new modem and/or router?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 4:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 8:44 PM

Hi Ruppy59,

If you get a new router, you will get improved WiFi speeds, improved WiFi coverage, better WiFi Security, just to name a few.

For good choices, visit this page: Mesh Wi-Fi Networking - All Accessories - Apple. These are the 3rd party units Apple sells, and therefore has trust in.

You can buy them with a specific number of "nodes" to put around your house for WiFi.

Cheers,

Jack

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2021 8:44 PM in response to Ruppy59

Hi Ruppy59,

If you get a new router, you will get improved WiFi speeds, improved WiFi coverage, better WiFi Security, just to name a few.

For good choices, visit this page: Mesh Wi-Fi Networking - All Accessories - Apple. These are the 3rd party units Apple sells, and therefore has trust in.

You can buy them with a specific number of "nodes" to put around your house for WiFi.

Cheers,

Jack

Mar 1, 2021 4:42 PM in response to Ruppy59

No not unless you want to. If you have not updated your router in the past 3-4 years then it would be wise though. Depending on your home and the number of Internet devices your network supports you may be a candidate for a Mesh Network. If you are unfamiliar with Mesh networking I'd read up on it, you may be an ideal candidate and just don't know it.

Modem and/or Router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.