Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The recovery server could not be contacted

I formatted my computer using a USB loaded with MacOS High Sierra. I then attempting to install MacOS High Sierra in the main install window. However, I received the pop up message stating the “recovery server could not be contacted.” Next I restarted my computer and I held the “option” key while restarting so that I could select my home WiFi, and chose to start up using the recovery disk. But the computer just stays frozen for hours loading. I never get the prompt to install the MacOS.

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 11:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2021 11:31 PM

After I force restarted my computer after failing to load recovery with wifi, I was back at the main install window. I went up the menu located at the top of the screen above and in utilities menu, I opened the program “Network Manager.” The program could not ping google.com, which meant the computer did not have access to the internet. Activating WiFi did not seem possible with this Network program. So I decided to get an Ethernet wire and hook it up to iMac. After restarting “Network” program, the utility can now ping google.com, thus the computer was finally on the internet. And finally I was able to install the MacOS without the pop up message. The only solution that truly works is to use a old fashion Ethernet cable.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2021 11:31 PM in response to RichardUCLA

After I force restarted my computer after failing to load recovery with wifi, I was back at the main install window. I went up the menu located at the top of the screen above and in utilities menu, I opened the program “Network Manager.” The program could not ping google.com, which meant the computer did not have access to the internet. Activating WiFi did not seem possible with this Network program. So I decided to get an Ethernet wire and hook it up to iMac. After restarting “Network” program, the utility can now ping google.com, thus the computer was finally on the internet. And finally I was able to install the MacOS without the pop up message. The only solution that truly works is to use a old fashion Ethernet cable.

The recovery server could not be contacted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.