Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange "library" folder in iCloud Documents folder

Today I noticed a new folder called "Library" in my iCloud Documents folder. When I try to open it, a pop-up message appears saying "The folder “Library” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents."

As far as I can tell, there isn't anything in the folder, since the folder info shows 0 KB.

Does anyone know how this happened and is it safe to delete this folder?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 5:00 AM

20 replies

Mar 3, 2021 1:05 AM in response to GlennVP

I noticed it as well.

When the Library folder appeared on my system I was just trying Docker (a developer utility) on my Mac.

Later I decided to uninstall it and when I spotted the Library folder I thought (mistakenly...) it was related to Docker so I decided to delete it (providing the system password).

So, in my case it's forcefully gone. 😮

Today I discover two posts here mentioning the same folder.

I've absolutely no idea what that library folder was about and if it will reappear in the future.

For the record, my system seems working normally even without it. That said, I suggest to not remove it – at least for now, until an explanation is found.

Mar 15, 2021 3:01 AM in response to GlennVP

I've added this to a few other posts on here, but just in case you don't click on these posts....

I also have the same, a Library folder with no access appeared in my Documents folder, creation date was 3rd March at 13.51 - coincidentally, this was the exact time that I installed the latest Apple Security Update for 10.14.6 (Mojave), so I believe that was responsible for creating it.

It appears to be an empty folder, but as I can't open it I can't be 100% sure.

Hopefully, this will be deleted by Apple next time they do a Security Update on Mojave. Makes me a bit nervous, though, as it could be used by malware? Maybe it was supposed to be a hidden folder? Either way, it appeared straight after installing the latest Security Update (2021-003, I believe)

I don't believe in this case Adobe are responsible, although they are responsible for a lot of other mistakes! This all points to Apple, or so I believe.

Mar 15, 2021 3:41 AM in response to YorkshirePudding74

It was this Apple update that seems to have created it after it restarted, copied and pasted from the System Information utility...

macOS Mojave Security Update 2021-002:

Version: 10.14.6

Source: Apple

Install Date: 03/03/2021, 13:42

The creation date and time on mine is 03/03/2021, 13.51 - the time it actually restarted after the update.

Strange "library" folder in iCloud Documents folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.