Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No longer using Time Capsule as wifi router - how best to manage regular backups

Hi, I live in a rural area and recently lucked out - got into the Starlink beta. Hooray!

But this means I am retiring my Time Capsule, which has backed up my MBP for years.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to maintain the Time Machine backups WITHOUT having to periodically switch back to the old Time Capsule network (which will no longer have Internet service). Anyone have any tricks or things I can think about here? I am guessing I might be able to look up the Starlink to broadcast over the old Time Capsule but that seems cumbersome and probably technologically dumb.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 9:01 AM

Sorry, I am familiar with the basic idea of Starlink, but not familiar with the details of how the system functions or the particular components of the system. Nice looking website, but virtually no details that I could find on a WiFi router for the system.

IF.......the system does involve using a WiFi router........AND.......the router has at least one open Ethernet port, you could connect the Time Capsule to the Starlink router and then back up to the Time Capsule over the Starlink WiFi network.

Since you would not need the WiFi service provided by the Time Capsule, it would probably make sense to turn that function off, so the Time Capsule would act only as a backup device.

But, keep in mind that the Time Capsule cannot connect to the Starlink system using only a wireless connection......it must be a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection.

So, the big question here is whether the Starlink router or hub has at least one Ethernet port available to connect an Ethernet device to the system.....like a Time Capsule.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2021 9:01 AM in response to medora66

Sorry, I am familiar with the basic idea of Starlink, but not familiar with the details of how the system functions or the particular components of the system. Nice looking website, but virtually no details that I could find on a WiFi router for the system.

IF.......the system does involve using a WiFi router........AND.......the router has at least one open Ethernet port, you could connect the Time Capsule to the Starlink router and then back up to the Time Capsule over the Starlink WiFi network.

Since you would not need the WiFi service provided by the Time Capsule, it would probably make sense to turn that function off, so the Time Capsule would act only as a backup device.

But, keep in mind that the Time Capsule cannot connect to the Starlink system using only a wireless connection......it must be a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection.

So, the big question here is whether the Starlink router or hub has at least one Ethernet port available to connect an Ethernet device to the system.....like a Time Capsule.

No longer using Time Capsule as wifi router - how best to manage regular backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.