Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 MacBook Air erratic charging issues

The MacBook will sometimes just act like it has no cable plugged into it. I will close it at the end of the day with 100% charge and plugged in, then not open it for 24 hours. When I come back to it the battery is at 60%. I hadn't upgraded to Big Sur yet, but did today. I left the computer to download and install the subsequent incremental update to 11.2.2 and when I came back it was no longer charging and had dropped to 85%. Unplugged and replugged the charging cable and it started charging again. I also just recently installed Windows 10 via bootcamp (the charging problem had started prior to this.) I have the same problem when booted in Windows.

Battery has less than 80 charge cycles and functions properly and normally. I'm using the original apple charger that is still in excellent shape and the USB C cable positively snaps into both ports. Problem with both ports. I have run Malware Bytes and there is no malware.

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 5:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 8:00 PM

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Open System Preferences ➔ Battery ➔ Battery : Here, set Optimized Battery Charging to OFF. See whether that resolves it. If it does then perform a Google search on optimized battery charging to learn more.

Axel F.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2021 8:00 PM in response to Jonathan Rudenborg

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Open System Preferences ➔ Battery ➔ Battery : Here, set Optimized Battery Charging to OFF. See whether that resolves it. If it does then perform a Google search on optimized battery charging to learn more.

Axel F.

2020 MacBook Air erratic charging issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.