Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Not Charging, SMC reset didn't work

Since I've updated to Big Sur my macbook pro (2017) hasn't been charging, it chargers to about 84% then stops and saying not charging with the plug indicator instead of the lightning bolt. I've done an SMC reset several times, the issue hasn't been resolved, I bought a new usb-c cord because one side wouldn't charge, so I thought maybe the cord had a short, but still no difference. I just got a new battery roughly one year ago as of this post and it still says the condition is normal, so I don't think that's the issue. I don't know how to check if the adapter is the issue or if it's just a glitch with Big Sur, but I do want to make clear that this wasn't an issue a week ago before I updated to Big Sur.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 11, 2021 9:54 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 11, 2021 7:44 PM in response to HWTech

It says not charging no matter which of the four ports I put the charging cable in. Flipping 180 made no difference either. However I shut my laptop down but left it plugged in before I left my house earlier and when I came home the battery was at full charge, but now it appears to not be charging again. So it charges when it's off, but not while on. Does this sound like an issue you've heard of before?

Jul 11, 2021 12:12 PM in response to StevieJalapeño

Does the charger work when connected to another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop if you have four ports?

Try rotating the connector of the charging cable 180 degrees upside down to see if it makes a difference. I know this sounds crazy, but it may work if the USB-C port is half bad.

Try unplugging the charger from the electrical outlet for a minute to reset the charger's internal circuitry. Unfortunately there is no good way to test the charger except by testing it with another laptop or trying a known good charger with your laptop. Just make sure to disconnect all other external devices in case one of them is causing a problem and plug the charger directly into the laptop since a multi-port adapter, dock, and hub may not allow the full power of the charger make it to the laptop.

Most likely you will need to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop and charger to provide you with a repair estimate.

Jul 12, 2021 5:35 AM in response to StevieJalapeño

It means the laptop is not receiving enough power. This can be caused by just about anything: charger, charging cable, adapters/docks/hubs/accessories/peripherals, or a hardware issue with the laptop itself. There are also a lot of ways to damage the Logic Board through the USB-C ports especially if low quality accessories and peripherals are connected. I think you will need to have Apple or an AASP examine the laptop as well as your charger and charging cable.

Macbook Not Charging, SMC reset didn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.