Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MLB TV app does not work on Apple Tv

I just got a subscription to MLB TV and it does not work on APPLE TV 4K (4th Generation). After launching and signing in, I try to view a live game and just get an empty black screen and no audio. I tried it on two different sets and Apple TV BOXES and neither works. It works on a ROKU Firestick. 😀

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 8:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 12:52 PM

I figured out what my problem is. Once in the application if I click on a game it does not launch. The problem is my Apple HomePod speaker. If I switch it back to the TV speaker it works. Once I get the game to start then I can switch back to the HomePod again and it works fine.

31 replies

Mar 10, 2021 12:13 PM in response to lvaradi

Same set up. Same problem. Wish I had found this thread after spending hours working on this myself and then with mlb.tv phone support. Tried everything including full Apple TV reset. Many hours of failed troubleshooting. Ugh. Ultimately I just canceled my subscription and requested a refund. MLB didn't seem very interested in getting it working for me. Oh well.

Now that I see the solution in this thread, it makes complete sense. The audio routing to my HomePod makes complete sense as the culprit. MLB is so nuts about people stealing their content (no Airplay support); you can't even plug an iPad Pro directly to a TV with an HDMI cable to watch. They block that in the MLB app too. That's a bit over the top if you ask me.

Too much hassle. Bye bye MLB.

Apr 5, 2021 6:43 PM in response to Really_Apple_

I’ve had zero issues with every other app. MLB is the only one with a problem. Their coders suck. I’ve had numerous problems with MLB.tv across multiple platforms. Also, every time I try to listen to an MLB radio feed using CarPlay, the stupid app makes me sign in again even though I’m already signed in. Thanks for making me pull over to sign in again just so I can listen to the radio.

Apr 11, 2021 8:57 PM in response to Bud Tanton

1.5 hours on the MLB support line. Unplugged and replugged logged out and logged in. Problem is still there. HomePod fix??? There’s no way in **** that I am going too constantly change my HomePod speaker settings every time I want to watch a game. Netflix, Prime, YouTube, AppleTV, Disney apps all work fine. Except for MLB. So yup ba bye... fix your ****!

Apr 23, 2021 7:51 PM in response to Stewartsr00

Actually you get the sound on your HomePod, if you are willing. You just have to start a game with the TV speakers. Once the game is launched do a quick switch over to the Setting app (double click the Home button on your AppleTV remote), switch audio to the HomePod, swipe back over to the MLB app and the game will resume with audio running through your HomePod(s)!

So glad I found this thread!

Apr 29, 2021 4:24 PM in response to lvaradi

I JUST discovered the same thing. If i use TV speakers then mlb tv works on  tv... but if I use homepods as the speakers then MLB TV doesn't work on  tv. Has this been fixed yet? What a weird connection. I was at my wit's end with the mlb tv which did NOT work on my smart tv (not supported on LG for last few years). I have an 84" tv and had to watch my team on my phone!

May 4, 2021 12:01 PM in response to Daniel

Well I’m going to reply to my own question. Suddenly it occurred to me that I can go on home app from iPad and change output. It worked but geeeeeeeez what a pain……going back and watching scoring innings in a game all fine but go to next game I want to watch……..repeat all over…….sometimes I just want to yell &)**)+&!@*!*^?!£+*$*^?+^?.

May 25, 2021 12:37 PM in response to lvaradi

So they just updated the MLB Tv app and everything was fine. Now my issue is when I click on live stream of game it says unable to verify access. All my other apple devices work fine. Have tried restarting apple tv, deleting app and I reset apple tv and still get the same message unable to verify access. I can watch games that have finished or recap games but no live streaming. Does anyone have suggestions on what else I could be missing? Sucks!!!

MLB TV app does not work on Apple Tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.