Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony A7siii new camera won't display video file thumbnails or play when selected - mp4 files

How do we get the files to display thumbnails or when double clicked play in QuickTime.

Currently neither work.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 10:27 PM

If it is set to 4:2:2, try 4:2:0 (some QuickTime versions also insist that H.265 must be tagged as hvc1 instead hev1).

Or use VLC or IINA as a viewer. Which macOS are you using?? Big Sur QuickTime Player might be more forgiving.

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 4, 2021 7:22 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Yup, I had set it to 4:2:2.

I thought I had a bad card because it only was a black screen with audio.

I imported it into PPRO and the video part showed up thank goodness.

VLC had worked too.

Thank you.

Should I upgrade in QT to see if it can read 4:2:2?

I have to use Catalina for remote login with gov. work.

Big Sur is not approved yet.

Mar 4, 2021 9:08 AM in response to srfrnr

QuickTime Player might refuse to play some H.265/HEVC flavors. macOS 11 Big Sur is most forgiving but has the following issues with "Codec ID" and "Chroma subsampling" options:

- H.265/HEVC Codec ID hvc1: OK.

H.265/HEVC Codec ID hev1: "This file contains media which isn't compatible with QuickTime Player". Fix: add '-tag:v hvc1' without re-encoding:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -tag:v hvc1 output.mp4

- Chroma subsampling 4:2:0: OK.

Chroma subsampling 4:2:2: "This file contains media which isn't compatible with QuickTime Player". Opens anyway in Big Sur but fails in Mojave.

- You can check those options with Invisor or MediaInfo. VLC and IINA have no issues with either.

Sony A7siii new camera won't display video file thumbnails or play when selected - mp4 files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.