Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change Apple ID

I created my Apple account under a Gmail address. Yesterday I created an iCloud email address through my Apple account so it was associated with my account already. Currently it is a secondary alias. I would like to make it the primary alias and remove my Gmail address entirely.

When I try to do so I get a message saying "This email address cannot be used as an Apple ID at this time."

Is there a reason I can't change my email right now?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 5:59 PM

I never created an iCloud address when I made my Apple account. I just created this address yesterday.

This is the message I get when trying to add my secondary alias (iCloud email) as my primary Apple ID.

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 3, 2021 5:38 PM in response to Cruzermur

You can't use a secondary alias as your Apple ID.

Based on what I have read, I suggest you leave your Apple ID email address as a 3rd party email address because you have more flexibility if you need to change the email address. For example, if the Apple ID got compromised, you can change it to another address. I also have read of many people who were locked out of their accounts when they forgot their password. Since the recovery email address is the @iCloud email address, if you forget your password, you also can't access your email to get emails from Apple to recover your account. You can set a rescue email address, but for some people, this hasn't worked.

Can't change Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.