Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro - right speaker “pops” and cuts out after a few seconds

I have a late 2012 15” Retina MBP running the latest version of OSX Catalina which has developed a strange internal speaker issue that I haven’t seen posted elsewhere.

Atter a few seconds of playback I’ll here a ‘pop’ from the right speaker and then sound will only play from the left speaker irrespective of the speaker balance/ frequency etc. that I select in the audio settings/ midi program.

After a while when I play a new sound/ video file it will restore itself but after a few seconds the same thing will happen. To try and fix this I have:

- physically replaced both speakers

- tried restarting the coreaudod process

- restarted the computer

- reset the PNR and SMC

- did a fresh install of Catalina

Nothing has fixed the issue! Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 6:54 AM

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities jamesakj,

We understand you're having some issues with your Mac's speakers, and have tried multiple ways to resolve the issue, including hardware service.

If you haven't yet, you can further isolate the behavior by testing in a new admin user account, as well as testing in safe mode.

A new account, can help narrow down whether the behavior is related to settings or software within your account. Safe mode will temporarily disable non-essential software, so if the behavior doesn't occur there, we know whether one of the items it disabled may be the cause.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Start up your Mac in safe mode

Let us know what you learn from these steps.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2021 6:54 AM in response to jamesakj

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities jamesakj,

We understand you're having some issues with your Mac's speakers, and have tried multiple ways to resolve the issue, including hardware service.

If you haven't yet, you can further isolate the behavior by testing in a new admin user account, as well as testing in safe mode.

A new account, can help narrow down whether the behavior is related to settings or software within your account. Safe mode will temporarily disable non-essential software, so if the behavior doesn't occur there, we know whether one of the items it disabled may be the cause.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Start up your Mac in safe mode

Let us know what you learn from these steps.

MacBook Pro - right speaker “pops” and cuts out after a few seconds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.