Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password-protected PDF

I can't get this to work. I am on Big Sur 11.2.2. Opened a PDF file, selected from the Preview menu File > Export > checked 'Encrypt' > entered password and verified password > Saved under a new name. The newly saved and encrypted file remains as visible and as accessible as its non-encrypted version. I emailed the file to another email address of mine to test. The recipient was able to open the attachment without any problem and without a need for a password. What gives? Is this feature buggy?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 6:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2021 12:41 PM

What I see is an exported, encrypted PDF with a lock symbol on it. Double-clicking results in a blank challenge panel that says:

This document is password protected. Please enter the password below. Only the correct password will allow one to open the PDF document. I suggest you update to macOS 11.2.3, and reinvestigate if the problem persists.

I am using macOS 11.2.3.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2021 12:41 PM in response to he206

What I see is an exported, encrypted PDF with a lock symbol on it. Double-clicking results in a blank challenge panel that says:

This document is password protected. Please enter the password below. Only the correct password will allow one to open the PDF document. I suggest you update to macOS 11.2.3, and reinvestigate if the problem persists.

I am using macOS 11.2.3.

Mar 19, 2021 10:42 PM in response to he206

No, VikingOSX; that was not the solution. I figured out the issue: the macOS was not seeing PDF documents I saved on it from other sources as actual PDF. So on my Mac, I exported to PDF those documents that were already PDF and re-saved. This did the trick: my Mac recognized them as PDF in Preview, and the encryption worked like a charm.

Password-protected PDF

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.