Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old versions of Apps

I have an old iPad air that is no longer supported, consequently its IOS is stuck at v12.5.1

Some of my apps that used to work, no longer do, since their latest versions require IOS v13+

Is there a way revert back to an older version of these apps that used to work?

The App Store has a version history, but as far I can tell does not allow you to upload these older versions.

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Mar 4, 2021 4:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2021 5:05 AM

A first generation iPad Air, iPad mini2 and mini3 can only be updated to iOS 12.5.1.

Apple ended major update support for these models of iPad in September 2019 - although they since continue to received “point” security updates. These devices cannot be updated to iPadOS 13 (or any later major versions of iPadOS) as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements (CPU and RAM) for newer versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Some App developers have dropped support for iOS versions preceding iOS 13.x for technical reasons (often because APIs or software libraries upon which they rely have been updated in the new version of iPadOS, making their App incompatible with earlier versions).  Such Apps often have their older App counterparts removed from the App Store.

Whilst many App titles remain compatible with your iPad, if you want or need to access to Apps requiring the most recent versions of iOS, you’ll need to consider replacement of your iPad with a newer or current model that supports iPadOS14.

Sorry, I appreciate that this may not be what you were hoping to learn.

I hope this information provides helpful clarity as to your available options - and the limitations of your existing iPad Air.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2021 5:05 AM in response to Athelney1

A first generation iPad Air, iPad mini2 and mini3 can only be updated to iOS 12.5.1.

Apple ended major update support for these models of iPad in September 2019 - although they since continue to received “point” security updates. These devices cannot be updated to iPadOS 13 (or any later major versions of iPadOS) as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements (CPU and RAM) for newer versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Some App developers have dropped support for iOS versions preceding iOS 13.x for technical reasons (often because APIs or software libraries upon which they rely have been updated in the new version of iPadOS, making their App incompatible with earlier versions).  Such Apps often have their older App counterparts removed from the App Store.

Whilst many App titles remain compatible with your iPad, if you want or need to access to Apps requiring the most recent versions of iOS, you’ll need to consider replacement of your iPad with a newer or current model that supports iPadOS14.

Sorry, I appreciate that this may not be what you were hoping to learn.

I hope this information provides helpful clarity as to your available options - and the limitations of your existing iPad Air.

Old versions of Apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.