Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird Mac Mail notification behavior

Hey everyone;

I have two email accounts on Mac Mail: a personal one and a work one (which comes from a Microsoft Exchange server). The personal one works just fine, but the work one has been doing weird stuff for a while when it comes to notifications:

• For several months it would show a notification badge on the Dock icon, but not play any notification sounds for the work account, which would cause me to miss emails or not notice them promptly.
  • Then it randomly decided to start playing notification sounds, but it's a different one from the personal account (how is that even possible??) and is at such a low volume that I can barely hear it.

I've tried removing and reinstalling the email accounts, resetting the PRAM, redoing the sound settings, everything I can think of, and nothing makes a difference. Has anybody else run into this super weird and aggravating problem?

(In a perfect world, I'd love to not get notification sounds for my personal account, since those emails aren't urgent, but get good loud sounds for work emails, since those are urgent. I tried setting up rules for this, but they kept crashing Mac Mail.)

Thanks!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 5, 2021 7:10 AM

3 replies

Weird Mac Mail notification behavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.