Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos questions here! Duplicate photos issue, huge! issue.

I have Big Sur in my 2020 iMac. Sometimes when I import photos I have imported photos I have already had. It used to appear a pop-up window about that and it was very helpful but know it does not appear and I have tons of duplicates. How can I fix that? How can I make my iMac to ask me if I want still to import photos I already have?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 7:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 8:41 AM

There are two common reasons for already imported photos not being recognised as duplicates. Some Settings on the iPhone can be causing this:

1. Reason 1: iCloud Syncing: If you have iCloud Photos enabled on the iPhone, the iCloud syncing may be turning the local copies over and over again into "new" photos. Please check, if iCloud Photos has become enabled.This can happen after a system update as a default, without you being aware of it. Is "Settings > your Name > iCloud > Photos > iCloud" enabled? Or is My Photo Stream enabled? If yes, do not use the import via a USB connection without checking the new photos for duplicates. If photos have been downloaded again from iCloud, Photos may not be able to recognise them as already imported.
  2. Reason 2: A format conversion: If your iPhone is taking the photos as HEIC files, but you are importing them converted to JPEGs, the original HEIC files on the iPhone will always appear as new photos. Please check the Settings > Photos. In the TRANSFER TO MAC OR PC section, tap Keep Originals to prevent the media from being converted to JPEG or H.264 when importing. Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Does one of this apply? Have the duplicates been taken with the camera on the iPhone or saved from other sources? What is the file format of the duplicates? Have the duplicates been edited on the iPhone? The edited versions will also appear as new files.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2021 8:41 AM in response to NewAppleKiddo

There are two common reasons for already imported photos not being recognised as duplicates. Some Settings on the iPhone can be causing this:

1. Reason 1: iCloud Syncing: If you have iCloud Photos enabled on the iPhone, the iCloud syncing may be turning the local copies over and over again into "new" photos. Please check, if iCloud Photos has become enabled.This can happen after a system update as a default, without you being aware of it. Is "Settings > your Name > iCloud > Photos > iCloud" enabled? Or is My Photo Stream enabled? If yes, do not use the import via a USB connection without checking the new photos for duplicates. If photos have been downloaded again from iCloud, Photos may not be able to recognise them as already imported.
  2. Reason 2: A format conversion: If your iPhone is taking the photos as HEIC files, but you are importing them converted to JPEGs, the original HEIC files on the iPhone will always appear as new photos. Please check the Settings > Photos. In the TRANSFER TO MAC OR PC section, tap Keep Originals to prevent the media from being converted to JPEG or H.264 when importing. Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Does one of this apply? Have the duplicates been taken with the camera on the iPhone or saved from other sources? What is the file format of the duplicates? Have the duplicates been edited on the iPhone? The edited versions will also appear as new files.

Photos questions here! Duplicate photos issue, huge! issue.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.