Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My phone keeps ringing on silent mode

How can I stop my phone from ringing when on silent mode?

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 8:07 AM

27 replies

Mar 6, 2021 9:06 AM in response to rikkat

When I flip the Silent Mode switch, I see a status display pop up on the iPhone screen.

If you flip the switch, do you see the same status confirmation?

Are you sure that you're positioning the switch so that the orange stripe is showing and the status pop up says 'Silent Mode On' with a red bell and a slash thru it?

How to put your iPhone on vibrate, ring, or silent mode - Apple Support

Mar 10, 2021 5:06 PM in response to rikkat

This is a known issue. Happened with the latest iOS update. Apple knows about it... but hasn’t done anything to fix it. Imagine paying Apple’s price for a brand new 12 Pro Max... And Silent not working correctly? Especially when most of your work days are spent in a conference room?

Apple even sent me a brand new device and the same issue occurred on day 1.

Doesn't matter if you set it up as a new device, restore from a backup, set up from an existing device, reset all your settings, erase the device and start over.... It will still continue to happen.

Mar 10, 2021 6:11 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Outside of personal experience, multiple phone calls/conversations with Apple, the fact that they replaced my new hardware with another new piece of hardware, without question? Not to mention the sheer number of posts about it on these forums combined with the results from whichever search engine you choose?

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck.... 🤷🏻‍♂️

You can’t be THAT much of a hardcore Apple fan-boy, can you? Every manufacturer has its flaws; but staying “hush hush” about it just makes it worse.

I’ve used every version of iOS since launch. My XS Max didn’t do it... My 11 Pro Max didn’t do... And I didn’t upgrade my iOS until I got my 12 Pro Max... Which just so happens to be when the issue started. And the odds of the same thing happening on a new, different 12 Pro Max that was activated 3-4 weeks later? Well, it’s probably safe to say it’s not hardware related?! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mar 10, 2021 6:22 PM in response to Matti013

Any time an answer is as long as yours to a simple question it scores very high on the bogosity meter.

Generally when there is a widespread problem there are hundreds, and sometimes thousands, of posts about it. As I haven’t seen any consistent threads about and you didn’t point to a credible source I will discount it.

As far as web searches, if they can be considered reliable then clearly the Earth is flat.

Apr 2, 2021 8:33 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

There are multiple forums that have been going on for a while. and I am having this issue as well. It only started after the last update to my IOS. Apple is well aware, but does not have a fix. This is starting to become a problem because I use my phone in meetings, only to have it ring out loud on the highest setting when all sound has been turned off. There are no emergency contact, or pass throughs, etc... It's a flaw in the software. I've disabled my volume toggle switch, and manually turned down the volume to no avail. I guess the only fix is to get a ring tone that plays a silent song. I am a apple fan, but these shortcomings are starting to kill them.

To caveat this, when connecting to the car, apple always goes back to the same song at the beginning of your song list. It plays no matter what and there is no fix! Someone made millions on making a silent song (A a a a a Very Good Song) it's complete silence for about 8 minutes so you don't have the same song at the begging of your song list blaring before you get a change to change it. In the past whatever song you last listened to played when you car, or Bluetooth reconnected. Yep. .APPLE, get it together!!!!!

Apr 2, 2021 10:30 AM in response to JMG4217

Yes, what JMG said.

My 3 wipes on my first brand new 12 Pro Max ensured it wasn’t bypass. And the fresh setup on my 2nd brand new device a few weeks later also ensured it has NOTHING to do with bypass.

Like most others with this complaint... It happens with random calls and unknown numbers. It’s not just contact or bypass related.

I even went as far as trying to control it from my back tap settings in order to bypass the switch completely. Made no difference, of course.

My phone keeps ringing on silent mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.