Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 supplemental update

My MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) continuously asking to do a software to macOS Catalina 10.15.7 supplemental update. I can't boot anymore after updating. the screen freezes after the login.

I'm using apple computers for 20 years now and this is the first time I event switched off the automatic software update.....

Anyone who found a solution for this issue?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 5:52 PM

This is not a common issue with that update.

Try restarting again in Safe Mode, holding down the Shift key. Booting may take 10-20 minutes this way. If this works and you can login, wait until everything finishes, then restart again normally.

If that does not work (either the Safe Boot, or restarting normally after Safe Boot does work), then you might need to reinstall the MacOS. If you can successfully Safe Boot, try downloading and running Etrecheck, it's a special diagnostic tool that an expert who provides help in these Discussions created. Give Etrecheck full disk access and post the output here in a reply using the button for "additional text" below. People who have a lot of experience in these things may be able to identify the culprit and you might be able to remove it in Safe Mode to enable your computer to run normally again.

If booting into Safe Mode does not succeed, can you boot into another user account on the Mac?

If there is no way to boot, then hopefully you have a good, reliable and complete backup. I would first try booting into Recovery (COMMAND-R when booting), open Disk Utility in Recovery and run First Aid, repeating until no errors are reported. Then try booting again. If this also fails, the next step would be booting into Recovery again and erasing/formatting and reinstall a brand new operating system, then run Migration Assistant to migrate from the backup only user files and folder, no applications and no settings. Then you would need to reinstall a few applications at a time, retesting booting up periodically, to see if the culprit returns.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2021 5:52 PM in response to vvanduijvendijk

This is not a common issue with that update.

Try restarting again in Safe Mode, holding down the Shift key. Booting may take 10-20 minutes this way. If this works and you can login, wait until everything finishes, then restart again normally.

If that does not work (either the Safe Boot, or restarting normally after Safe Boot does work), then you might need to reinstall the MacOS. If you can successfully Safe Boot, try downloading and running Etrecheck, it's a special diagnostic tool that an expert who provides help in these Discussions created. Give Etrecheck full disk access and post the output here in a reply using the button for "additional text" below. People who have a lot of experience in these things may be able to identify the culprit and you might be able to remove it in Safe Mode to enable your computer to run normally again.

If booting into Safe Mode does not succeed, can you boot into another user account on the Mac?

If there is no way to boot, then hopefully you have a good, reliable and complete backup. I would first try booting into Recovery (COMMAND-R when booting), open Disk Utility in Recovery and run First Aid, repeating until no errors are reported. Then try booting again. If this also fails, the next step would be booting into Recovery again and erasing/formatting and reinstall a brand new operating system, then run Migration Assistant to migrate from the backup only user files and folder, no applications and no settings. Then you would need to reinstall a few applications at a time, retesting booting up periodically, to see if the culprit returns.

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 supplemental update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.