You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cable for data migration between 2 macbook pro

what thunderbolt cable is needed to connect a mid 2015 macbook pro to a brand new (2020) macbook pro to use for migration assistant?

I purchased a USB-C to lightening Cable and one end fits the thunderbolt slot in the new macbook but the other end does not fit either thunderbolt slot on the older macbook. Or any other slot. Please could someone tell me which of the many cables and differing ends will fit?

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 10:54 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 9, 2021 6:40 AM in response to dorianN

dorianN wrote:

what thunderbolt cable is needed to connect a mid 2015 macbook pro to a brand new (2020) macbook pro to use for migration assistant?
I purchased a USB-C to lightening Cable and one end fits the thunderbolt slot in the new macbook but the other end does not fit either thunderbolt slot on the older macbook. Or any other slot. Please could someone tell me which of the many cables and differing ends will fit?

Unless you have more than single usage for a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter...

A USBC to USB adapter cable is most likely going to be more useful to you for any USB device you have, including external drives, DVD super drive, USB thumb drives, SD Card readers etc,

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Yes the transfer rate is not quite as fast moving your data to the new machine, but minutes not hours— hardly worth the compared cost for a one time usage.

Mar 9, 2021 6:02 AM in response to dorianN

Hey dorianN,

We understand you're wondering the exact cable or adapters needed to connect your two Mac devices for Migration Assistant. If you have the MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), then that MacBook Pro has two Thunderbolt 2 ports, two USB 3, and an HDMI port. If you'd like, you can read more here: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) - Technical Specifications

If you still have a Thunderbolt 2 cable that works with your old MacBook Pro, you could get a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter.

You'll also want to make sure you follow the steps in this article for Migration Assistant: Move your content to a new Mac or Transfer your data to your new MacBook Pro

Take care!

cable for data migration between 2 macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.