Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet Sharing Stops Working

I have a NAS connected directly to an ethernet port on my Macbook Air M1 running Big Sur 11.2.2.

I share my wifi connection with the thunderbolt adapter to give the NAS an IP via DHCP. This works for about 5 minutes before my internet stops working. If I try to open a shared folder on the NAS I get a pink screen and system crash.

I've used a similar setup for the last 10 years on my other Macs with no problems.

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 10:59 AM

The problem appears to be with the SMB 3 implementation on Mac OS. I've found numerous old threads about this. Seems Apple's SMB implementation has always been really bad.

Mounting my NAS using the now deprecated AFP protocol is almost as fast and is passing all my stress tests.

I hope apple reconsiders deprecating AFP. It seems to be the only thing working for many of us.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2021 10:59 AM in response to smallsir

The problem appears to be with the SMB 3 implementation on Mac OS. I've found numerous old threads about this. Seems Apple's SMB implementation has always been really bad.

Mounting my NAS using the now deprecated AFP protocol is almost as fast and is passing all my stress tests.

I hope apple reconsiders deprecating AFP. It seems to be the only thing working for many of us.

Internet Sharing Stops Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.