Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disappearing screen recordings

My wife made a screen recording of a zoom meeting, the recording appeared in the dock so she dragged it to the desktop and there was a whoosh and it disappeared. I have been unable to find it, there are a couple of autosave information folders come up in a search but they are empty.

How can I find the lost recording?

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 1:17 PM

You may want to disable “Show Floating Thumbnail” (this is also done with Command-Shift-5 and clicking on Options).

By dragging this thumbnail indeed the recording was dismissed. Disabling this thumbnail will have the recording be saved without further user interaction.

I still think it would make a lot more sense to use Zoom to do the recording.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2021 1:17 PM in response to Sam.Spoons

You may want to disable “Show Floating Thumbnail” (this is also done with Command-Shift-5 and clicking on Options).

By dragging this thumbnail indeed the recording was dismissed. Disabling this thumbnail will have the recording be saved without further user interaction.

I still think it would make a lot more sense to use Zoom to do the recording.

Mar 7, 2021 11:01 AM in response to Sam.Spoons

I can’t think of any situation where the screen recording would appear in the Dock. Tge good news is that dragging something out of the Dock does not remove it from wherever it is stored, so it should still exist somewhere in the drive,

Is this there any reason for doing a screen recording, given that Zoom allows recording of its sessions?

Mar 7, 2021 12:38 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks again, She now thinks it was in the square at the bottom right of the screen. I think she swiped it up the screen without stopping it recording, I've tried that and it did nothing though. She has some other recordings which have saved to the desktop fine when she stopped so I guess that must be the issue. Will try a sacrificial recording tomorrow and see if that reproduces the issue.

Disappearing screen recordings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.