Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Key combinations FN + F4, F5, F6 do not work

Hey guys, I'm having some problems regarding function keys on Macbook Air M1.

So basically, when I tick the option of "use F1, F2, etc as standard function keys, when enabled press Fn key to use special features printed on each key", I cannot press Fn + F4, F5, F6 to open spotlight, dictation, and enable "do not disturb mode", respectively.

A second problem that I'm encountering is that the rewind key on my macbook doesn't seem to work with youtube videos. When I press it while watching a youtube video, the video stops and starts buffering, but no rewinding is made. This button works perfectly with apple music.

Is anybody having the same problems, if you don't mind, maybe you can test these out for me, I'm a bit apprehensive.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 8, 2021 4:51 AM

1 reply

Mar 10, 2021 7:34 AM in response to NamAnh38

Hello NamAnh38,

Thank you for your post in Apple Support Communities. We understand you have some concerns about your new MacBook Air M1. A good step to test for issues with both the function keys and playback, we suggest creating a test user profile with admin privileges, then logging into it.

This gives you an opportunity to see if the same issues occur and narrows down if they are related to your user profile.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

You can also test for these issues in safe mode:

Start up your Mac in safe mode

Also, if the rewind function on your toolbar is working in the Apple Music or another video app, specifically an Apple one, then the issue is more likely specific to YouTube not allowing that function.

Have a good day.

Key combinations FN + F4, F5, F6 do not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.