Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro cannot detect internal HDD/SSD

Hi,

My Macbook Pro 13" (Mid 2012) cannot detect internal drives.

I swapped the HDD for an SSD a couple of years ago as my MBP was running really slowly. It's worked completely fine since then until this morning when I got a 'folder with a question mark' icon on start up. I've read various forum threads and followed the steps to try and fix that but they haven't worked.

I replaced the SSD with the original HDD again today and still get the same issue (implying that the problem is not with the SSD itself.

I have now connected the SSD externally with a USB-SATA cable and the laptop boots. Disk Utility is unable to see the internal HDD.

What is likely to be the issue here? Will it just be a problem with the cable connected to the hard drive internally (and if so is this simple to repair) or could it be a wider issue?

I haven't opened up the device for years so I can't see that I'd have managed to damage the cable between last night (when the laptop worked) and this morning.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 3:07 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 9, 2021 1:23 PM in response to Tom_B167

Replace the hard drive SATA Cable. This cable has an extremely high rate of failure with this particular model laptop especially when used wit an SSD. By removing the SSD and booting it externally you can be fairly certain the internal cable is the problem. You can get a replacement cable from OWC:

https://eshop.macsales.com/search/?q=hard%20drive%20cable&filter.catidpath=3406

MacBook Pro cannot detect internal HDD/SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.