Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine

I have had issues with TimeMachine encryption and passwords before. I am now wondering if it actually encrypts and is password protected. I remove my external HD from TimeMachine, I rename it in Finder, I eject it from my Mac, I reboot my Mac, I plug my HD via USB into my Mac and I can then look at the entire contents of the backup files on the HD, in Finder, without being asked for a password and with documents, pictures etc looking perfectly normal.

Any explanation please?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 3:11 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 9, 2021 5:59 AM in response to M0ndayTuesday

M0ndayTuesday wrote:

I have had issues with TimeMachine encryption and passwords before. I am now wondering if it actually encrypts and is password protected. I remove my external HD from TimeMachine, I rename it in Finder, I eject it from my Mac, I reboot my Mac, I plug my HD via USB into my Mac and I can then look at the entire contents of the backup files on the HD, in Finder, without being asked for a password and with documents, pictures etc looking perfectly normal.

Any explanation please?

See if there is anything here:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/keep-your-time-machine-backup-disk-secure-mh21241/mac

Mar 9, 2021 10:40 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you leroydouglas for the tip. My searches of Apple and the wider internet have not come up with an answer to the issue I seem to be facing. In terms of using passwords I have not had issues at all either in my Apple life or before that in Microsoft world. I have no experience of being told encrypted and password protected and having neither work.

Mar 13, 2021 4:10 AM in response to M0ndayTuesday

As an alternative, following a Discussion conversation I found on Thursday, I have set up a second disc which I set up in disc utilities a Journaled and encrypted. I carried out a successful Time Machine back up. On first start yesterday I was asked for the password to unlock it for TimeMachine. This morning on after start up I have not been asked for the password and can fully search through the backup with Finder. Again, is it secure? Or will it call for the password if switched to another Mac (which I don' have)?

Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.