Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAC OS Big Sur and Epson x400 scanner

My new macbook air works fine with my Epson x400 printer but the computer cannot seem to find the scanner. I tried installing just the scanner software from the Epson site but it did not work. I am afraid to uninstall the printer software and reinstall it all in case I lose the printer function as well.

MacBook

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 10:41 AM

Can Apple's Image Capture recognize the scanner component of this device?

If this is the XP-400 device, then both printing and scanning should be supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint driver, provided the device is networked either wired or wirelessly. That would mean no further dependency on Epson for driver functionality.

You would visit the Printers & Scanners panel, right-click on the XP-400 entry, and choose Reset printing system… at which time, you would re-add the printer using AirPrint, instead of the customary Epson drivers. Then, Apple's Image Capture should also be able to recognize and drive the scanner.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2021 10:41 AM in response to MariSaki

Can Apple's Image Capture recognize the scanner component of this device?

If this is the XP-400 device, then both printing and scanning should be supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint driver, provided the device is networked either wired or wirelessly. That would mean no further dependency on Epson for driver functionality.

You would visit the Printers & Scanners panel, right-click on the XP-400 entry, and choose Reset printing system… at which time, you would re-add the printer using AirPrint, instead of the customary Epson drivers. Then, Apple's Image Capture should also be able to recognize and drive the scanner.

MAC OS Big Sur and Epson x400 scanner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.