Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing local music files and relying on cloud hosting

I have an Apple Music subscription and I am using it for managing my music collection, i.e. my mp3 and other music files, that I had before subscribing to Apple Music.

I'm in need of disk space and would like to remove the local music files for my collection, while still being able to retrieve them in the future. I already have a backup of them; what I want is to rely on the cloud where they are hosted -- if I'm right. I have two questions:

1. Is my collection fully in the cloud and will be retrieved when needed?
  2. How do I delete the files? Going to "iTunes Media" with Finder and delete the files? Or is this what "Remove download" is for in iTunes?

Thanks in advance,

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 12:42 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 9, 2021 1:00 PM in response to fenglich

Fenglihsh,

On #1, no and no. I must warn you that many users misunderstand what is and isn't in the cloud, and end up having a dreadful experience one day. Here is some reading: What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

The first thing to do is make one or more reliable backups, including an external hard drive.

Once you have done that, feel free to experiment with deletion procedures.

Mar 9, 2021 1:13 PM in response to ed2345

ed2345, thanks for your reply.

I was not clear: I'm not thinking of iCloud Backup, which seems to be a different product/feature, based on reading your link. I was thinking of my music files hosted in the cloud, that Apple Music do.

For instance, I can access my previously only local music files from my iPhone, so the music collection is evidently hosted in the cloud somewhere, by Apple Music. And that I get a "Remove Download" when selecting one of my own files is also a strong point -- i.e, it's Not "Remove from Library" or so.

I got backups on external drive, yes. I'm also not concerned about the format of my files that are managed by Apple Music.

So, what will happen to the cloud hosting of the files if I select "Remove Download" for my own files?

Mar 9, 2021 2:16 PM in response to ed2345

It can lapse and his music would still be available, but won’t be able to listen to it until payment has been updated. Also happened to me when I forgot to update my credit card info. They give the user up to a week to listen. But after that 7 day time to update the payment has been done, they will block the user from listening. But the person’s music library and history, basically everything is left as is.

Removing local music files and relying on cloud hosting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.