Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my Apple M1 with an external mouse with USB dongle lag every 10-30 seconds? Totally unusable.

I have a 13" M1 + a Satechi hub and using a Razer Basilisk with a USB dongle. Also tested and verified the problem with a Logitech M510 with a USB dongle as well. I used the same exact hub + mice with my older 13" MBP and the problem does not happen.

The problem is an intermittent lag with the mouse that sometimes lasts as long as 10 seconds but usually only lasts for 1-3 seconds. This problem seems to happen randomly but also seems to happen more frequently when rolling the mouse over the dock, dragging windows, or when interacting with applications with lots of UI events. The problem doesn't happen with my keyboard or any other USB device. Only my external mouse. I literally just bought this MBP and haven't loaded anything on it just yet. This makes any graphics work, word processing, or basic tasks like development virtually impossible. I can also confirm this problem occurs with a $10 wired USB mouse.

During the typing of this posting, the lag/stuttering/complete disable of the mouse happened a total of 5 times. The last lag spike took a total of 20 complete seconds to recover to an operable state.

Has anyone found a solution for this yet? I'm regretting this purchase as this basic problem has caused hours of lost productivity to investigate.

Posted on Mar 9, 2021 5:16 PM

2 replies

Mar 9, 2021 5:24 PM in response to dyerrington

Also to be preemptive as I know someone will suggest to adjust my mouse speed: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-your-mouses-response-speed-mchlp1138/mac

Let me assure you, adjusting the mouse to any speed has no impact on the problem. The problem also doesn't happen with the onboard trackpad or other USB devices. The mouse completely stops working for a split second or two, or several seconds and it's intermittent.

Apr 4, 2021 12:05 PM in response to dyerrington

Hi dyerrington, I experience a similar problem with my Apple M1.

I use a Satechi ST-SCMA2M dongle and did try two different mouse + keyboards from logitech connected to it. I have the same problem that the keyboard is lagging and missing key strokes, in short it's totally unusable. The mouse has some lag and it's frustrating, but at least it can be used somehow.

Hopefully apple fixes this behaviour somehow.

Why does my Apple M1 with an external mouse with USB dongle lag every 10-30 seconds? Totally unusable.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.