Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh start up disk disappeared when doing a reset

Hey guys, i’ve attempted to wipe/reset my laptop as per the directions on apple through recovery mode. it worked fine the first time however i wasn’t convinced it wiped everything so i made an account and logged back into the laptop, then when i was satisfied i tried to do the procedure again to rewipe as i created an account. however the second time it wiped the macintosh start up disk and there was no disk for me to reinstall os. Any ideas on how to get the start up disk back?! i’m not technology savvy so i follows apples instructions to a T! It is also a Macbook Pro 2015. i had updated it to Big sur before i reset everything too.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Mar 10, 2021 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2021 3:38 PM

Disk Utility has a Show All Devices selection in recent macOS releases. Make sure that's selected, so that all devices present are shown.

The show-all is shown here: How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

You'll probably be selecting the whole device for (re)partitioning, and using the GUID partitioning scheme (GPT) and APFS for the partition you'll be booting from. How to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

Here is the whole sequence: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2021 3:38 PM in response to bminihan

Disk Utility has a Show All Devices selection in recent macOS releases. Make sure that's selected, so that all devices present are shown.

The show-all is shown here: How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

You'll probably be selecting the whole device for (re)partitioning, and using the GUID partitioning scheme (GPT) and APFS for the partition you'll be booting from. How to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

Here is the whole sequence: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Macintosh start up disk disappeared when doing a reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.