Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No start up disk

I recently decided that I wasn’t Ed to restart (clear) my Mac book air 2019. At first I managed to get to MacOS utilities go on disk utilities and erase Macintosh HD (I also applied first aid to all volumes etc) then reinstall macOS Mojave. However after it finished installing it came up with a spinning globe, I type in my internet pass words and then it instantly takes me to macOS utilities again with a pop up mentioning that I do not have a startup disk. I then go to chose a start up disk but there is nothing there. I have repeated the steps of erasing disk applying first air and then installing max OS (with the help of apple support and their senior team) all together I’ve now done this 7 times and nothing seems to help it always take me to the spinning globe then staring back to the pop up of needing to select a start disk but non are there to select. Apple support think I should take it in to get looked at which is fine but want to check if anyone else as experienced the same and if so what did they have to do?

thanks

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 5:33 PM

After you erase the drive you must format and partition it.

For Mojave, I believe the correct format will be Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with the GUID partition map.

Name the drive Macintosh HD at that time.

When you are in Disk Utilities, you must select View > Show All Devices. Then select the top most device (not an indented volume) before you can format or partition it.

Once the device is formatted and partitioned, then you can quit Disk Utility and reinstall macOS.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2022 5:33 PM in response to cmcintosh1

After you erase the drive you must format and partition it.

For Mojave, I believe the correct format will be Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with the GUID partition map.

Name the drive Macintosh HD at that time.

When you are in Disk Utilities, you must select View > Show All Devices. Then select the top most device (not an indented volume) before you can format or partition it.

Once the device is formatted and partitioned, then you can quit Disk Utility and reinstall macOS.

No start up disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.