Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Description: iMac (early 2008) Goes to black screen after install El Capitan. Only in safe mode is where I can see that it has been installed.

When installing El Capitan from bootable USB, the Apple logo comes up then the screen goes black. I can hear the cpu running for 2 mins then silence.

I have tried everything!!!! reseting the pram etc. It’s when I go into safe mode that I find that it has been installed.

It was all working before on El Capitan (it’s second hand (bought from

eBay 2 years ago) but last week, whilst going off to do something, I

saw the normal screen saver but it was frozen. I turned it off then on

again and ever since I’ve had the black screen of death but not when I go into disk utility, safe mode etc. First aid and single mode say that the hard drive is ok.

I backed up the files, wiped the drive and did the whole recovery, single user, all the start up suggestions. I ran repairs, the sbin fsck thingy in single mode, looked at at a hundred youtube vids (changed the date in the terminal etc).

I know it’s a very very old obsolete iMac but I thought I’d give it a last fighting chance. Help is very much appreciate!! Thanks guys!!!

Posted on Mar 10, 2021 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2021 10:37 PM

It is possible that the graphics card in your mac has expired.

If you get visuals when booted into Safe Mode the mac is using the

absolute bare bones of the graphics card, but when running normally

the mac is using the full graphics acceleration on the graphics card

and if this has operation of the card has become faulty then you

would be presented with a blank screen.

An older iMac like yours may have a removable graphics card which could be replaced,

newer models don't, they are soldered in. The cost of replacing it may not be worth it though.

It is a 2008 model and regarded as a dinosaur.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2021 10:37 PM in response to honza227

It is possible that the graphics card in your mac has expired.

If you get visuals when booted into Safe Mode the mac is using the

absolute bare bones of the graphics card, but when running normally

the mac is using the full graphics acceleration on the graphics card

and if this has operation of the card has become faulty then you

would be presented with a blank screen.

An older iMac like yours may have a removable graphics card which could be replaced,

newer models don't, they are soldered in. The cost of replacing it may not be worth it though.

It is a 2008 model and regarded as a dinosaur.

Description: iMac (early 2008) Goes to black screen after install El Capitan. Only in safe mode is where I can see that it has been installed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.