Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS crashing frequently when using eGPU

I am facing severe issues when using an eGPU (Radeon RX 580) & Mantiz Saturn Pro enclosure with 2018 13" Macbook Pro w/Touch Bar.

Setup:

• MacOS Big Sur v11.1.,
  • eGPU connected via TB3,
  • external monitor connected directly to the eGPU via HDMI cable.

The system crashes when I:

• boot up / wake from sleep with the eGPU connected (90% of the time)
  • connect the eGPU after booting up (50% of the time)
  • exit fullscreen app, e.g. games (50% of the time)
  • do random stuff, e.g. browsing web (about 8-10 times per day)

Whenever the system reboots, the external monitor is unresponsive, displaying this and I have to open the laptop and use its screen to log in.

No difference if I keep the laptop open/closed, swap the TB port or try other "common sense" stuff.

Unfortunately I do not see any pattern, which is the most frustrating part, because it makes the setup unusable.

Any ideas what I should be looking for?

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 12:12 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 16, 2021 11:36 PM in response to hexsus

Update: Downgraded to MacOS Catalina since many users reported that eGPU worked fine with Catalina for them, yet stopped working with Big Sur. For me the issues got more frequent on Catalina.

I'll keep updating this post with my progress, since it's getting more attention https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251378369?answerId=254836832022#254836832022

If I find a reliable solution to my situation, I'll post it here too.

Mar 17, 2021 2:56 PM in response to hexsus

Update: On MacOS Catalina 10.15.7. I reset MacBook NVRAM today. The system hasn't crashed since.*

*Only froze on 2 occasions (Booting up w/ eGPU connected & exiting a fullscreen game), but unfroze right after I turned the eGPU off via power switch

How to reset your NVRAM / PRAM

1. shut down system
  2. start it up
  3. press and hold CMD + Option + P + R right away
  4. Release when the apple logo shows up for the 2nd time

(Details in this tutorial: https://purplecomputing.com/tech-how-to/how-to-reset-nvram-or-pram/)

Next up:

• I will try updating back to the latest Big Sur
  • I will try also restarting SMC

Mar 19, 2021 12:24 AM in response to hexsus

Update 3: Still on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7. I also reset MacBook SMC yesterday. The situation got much worse.

Ok we are officially to square 1. I'm starting to wonder if I was just lucky after the NVRAM reset, or if it actually improved the situation. Nonetheless after resetting SMC, the issues are exactly the same as when I opened this thread. Only difference is that I am able to safe disconnect the eGPU via toolbar, but everything else is now crashing.

So in case anybody resets their NVRAM and feels like the situation has improved, I would discourage touching the SMC. (even though you can find it as a recommended step in some troubleshooting guides)

Next up:

• I will try resetting the NVRAM again and observe the issue during today
  • I will update back to latest Big Sur this evening (as I've clearly ruled out the MacOS version to be the issue here)

Mar 19, 2021 1:45 PM in response to hexsus

Final update

I've finally tried:

• Updating back to latest MacOS BigSur 11.2.3
  • Resetting NVRAM again
  • Disabling power nap (suggested fix for the wake-from-sleep crash)

None of that helped.

I was unable to find a setup which would improve the situation to at least some stable threshold. The frequency, severity and randomness of freezes and crashes makes the system completely unusable for me.

Given the number of complaints around the internet regarding this topic contrasted with lack of action from Apple, I am forced to sell my eGPU setup and build a Windows PC to fulfil my needs. I will not purchase any new Mac device until Apple significantly improves in this area.

I do not recommend using Mac devices with external GPU. The fact that you can plug eGPU in doesn't mean it's supported. It clearly is not.

MacOS crashing frequently when using eGPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.