Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Macbook Air crashes and reboots itself when sending HDMI video

Since this last update to Sonoma my Macbook crashes and reboots itself. I plug and adaptor to put some videos into a projector, for my students to watch, and it suddenly crashes. It has happened 3 times today! I cannot work like this.

I've tried a couple of adaptors and I have the same problem. I never had this issue before Sonoma.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 11:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 11:43 PM

triviani Said:

"Macbook Air crashes and reboots itself when sending HDMI video: Since this last update to Sonoma my Macbook crashes and reboots itself. I plug and adaptor to put some videos into a projector, for my students to watch, and it suddenly crashes. It has happened 3 times today! I cannot work like this. I've tried a couple of adaptors and I have the same problem. I never had this issue before Sonoma."

------

Mac Charging:

Assuming you taking about a surge protector, then it seems you may have too good of one. So, downgrade to one of lesser wattage...

See if anything her helps...

Troubleshooting Mac Charge:

Refer to the following....

A. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Based Macs Only): Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. Updates), system configurations (i.e. for Power) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

B. Try a New Charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to for Power:

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2023 11:43 PM in response to triviani

triviani Said:

"Macbook Air crashes and reboots itself when sending HDMI video: Since this last update to Sonoma my Macbook crashes and reboots itself. I plug and adaptor to put some videos into a projector, for my students to watch, and it suddenly crashes. It has happened 3 times today! I cannot work like this. I've tried a couple of adaptors and I have the same problem. I never had this issue before Sonoma."

------

Mac Charging:

Assuming you taking about a surge protector, then it seems you may have too good of one. So, downgrade to one of lesser wattage...

See if anything her helps...

Troubleshooting Mac Charge:

Refer to the following....

A. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Based Macs Only): Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. Updates), system configurations (i.e. for Power) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

B. Try a New Charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to for Power:

Macbook Air crashes and reboots itself when sending HDMI video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.