You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Crashes on Startup - Big Sur

When trying to start Photos is crashes on startup.

Same thing happens when starting up using option or command option.

I've tried this with a different new user on same computer and it created an empty photo library.

How can I reset the preferences on my username that is having the problem to see if that resolves the issue. This has occurred since upgrade to Big Sur.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 11, 2021 6:59 PM

6 replies

Mar 11, 2021 11:45 PM in response to IanParkin71

So it starts up OK with a new user on an empty library. And after an OS re-install.

With the OS reinstall, did you restore from a backup the complete user account that is failing, or is it failing effectively with a new user account on a new OS? If that is the case it suggests the problem is with the library.

Is the library on your system drive, or on an external drive?

If external, is it correctly set up for using with a photos library?

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives)

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine.

It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar.

It must also not be a network drive (a direct connection is required - eg USB or Thunderbolt).

File sharing services such as iCloud Drive, Drop box, Onedrive etc are not compatible with Photos libraries.

It stands to reason that if you want any sort of reasonable performance it should be a fast drive with a fast connection.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Mar 12, 2021 9:35 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Using a new user

• Photos starts and creates a blank library

Using my exisiting user Photos crashes. I booted with Command-R and did Big Sur OS re-install. Problem still existed.

To rule out the Library which is on my internal hard disk I removed it (I have a backup elsewhere). Restarted macbook. Same issue occurred.

I removed Photos related plist files from ~/Library/Preferences in case there was something weird there. Restarted macbook and Problem still exists.

Mar 13, 2021 6:35 PM in response to léonie

I have tried both Dock and from applications folder issue is the same. The initial part of the error report is as follows:

Process: Photos [801]

Path: /System/Applications/Photos.app/Contents/MacOS/Photos

Identifier: com.apple.Photos

Version: 6.0 (330.0.150)

Build Info: Photos_Apps-330000150000000~8

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: ??? [1]

Responsible: Photos [801]

User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2021-03-13 16:58:59.058 +1100

OS Version: macOS 11.2.3 (20D91)

Report Version: 12

Bridge OS Version: 5.2 (18P4347)

Anonymous UUID: F97EC5AB-0AE8-2D1B-F0F8-A378C7E30496

Time Awake Since Boot: 120 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Illegal instruction: 4

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4

Terminating Process: exc handler [801]

Photos Crashes on Startup - Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.