Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatting in Numbers when Copy Pasting

Hello everyone,

I'm currently creating a spreadsheet in Numbers in which people will need to copy and paste text from another document. The other document has the text in another formatting and when we copy and paste the formatting is kept instead of using the one of the new spreadsheet.

I know there is a way to copy and paste without keeping the formatting using a different shortcut, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to force the formatting in a table or spreadsheet when copy and pasting without having to use another shortcut ?

I'm not sure if I was clear in my explanation but I hope someone has a solution :D

Thanks !

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 2:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 1:12 PM

The keystroke combination for Paste and Match Style (in my Edit menu) is shift-option-command-V.

I don't recall if that was set by the OS software, or was a custom shortcut that I added some time ago.

There is no means I'm aware of for making that the default choice, but you can make a batch change to a single format by selecting a cell with that format applied, pressing option-command-C,

Then selecting the cells to which that style is to be applied and pressing option-comand-V.

This might prove more efficient and reliable that placing the onus on the people entering the data.

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2021 1:12 PM in response to tggrrr

The keystroke combination for Paste and Match Style (in my Edit menu) is shift-option-command-V.

I don't recall if that was set by the OS software, or was a custom shortcut that I added some time ago.

There is no means I'm aware of for making that the default choice, but you can make a batch change to a single format by selecting a cell with that format applied, pressing option-command-C,

Then selecting the cells to which that style is to be applied and pressing option-comand-V.

This might prove more efficient and reliable that placing the onus on the people entering the data.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 22, 2021 12:46 AM in response to tggrrr

Copying a cell in Numbers automatically copies the content of the cell AND the formatting set on that content.

The menu item "Paste and Match Style, in the Edit menu pastes the content only, which adopts the Style set for the cell into which the content has been pasted.

Paste and Match Style can be activated by choosing the menu item or by using the keystroke combination shift-option-command-V. This is a system set keystroke combination which works in most applications.

Regards,

Barry

Formatting in Numbers when Copy Pasting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.