Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing music from iPhone to MacBook Pro

All of my music is on my iPhone. When I go to settings to turn on sync I get a message that the music on my phone will be deleted and replaced. Does this mean I'll lose all of the CD's I've loaded onto my phone? I don't have any music on my MacBook

iPhone 6s, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 1:17 PM

Apple Music seems to have worked. I'm pretty sure that iTunes Match doesn't work going from an iPhone to iCloud because of the warning that the files on the phone will be deleted. Once I get all my devices synced to iCloud, I'm going to keep the iTunes Match and cancel my free trial of Apple Music because I can buy a lot of good CD's at thrift shops for a lot less money. Thanks for the help.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2021 1:17 PM in response to turingtest2

Apple Music seems to have worked. I'm pretty sure that iTunes Match doesn't work going from an iPhone to iCloud because of the warning that the files on the phone will be deleted. Once I get all my devices synced to iCloud, I'm going to keep the iTunes Match and cancel my free trial of Apple Music because I can buy a lot of good CD's at thrift shops for a lot less money. Thanks for the help.

Mar 12, 2021 11:26 AM in response to DumbfoundedNewbe

The essentials are the same. You'll need the assistance of a third party tool to extract the media from your device, or you could potentially subscribe to Apple Music on your phone to upload its content which is also supposed to work. My approach would generally be to extract the media with i-FunBox, but given the option I'd also use Windows for recovery because I have some scripts that can reclaim ratings, play counts, playlists. etc. and I've not yet been able to rebuild those for Mac.

tt2

Mar 12, 2021 12:24 PM in response to DumbfoundedNewbe

DumbfoundedNewbe wrote:

Do you think the free trial of Apple Music would work? I've already purchased iTunes Match.

I'm told Apple Music does, but I've not personally tested it. I don't know if iTunes Match will upload the content from a device in the same way that Apple Music is supposed to. I'd try and copy off the media with i-FunBox anyway before trying either iTunes Match or Apple Music just in case that doesn't work out. It might be too late if it doesn't.

tt2

Mar 12, 2021 12:35 PM in response to DumbfoundedNewbe

DumbfoundedNewbe wrote:

Tried to download i-Funbox and got a message that Apple couldn't open it because it hasn't been checked for malicious software.

I've installed it for the first time on Big Sur and got the same thing. Since I've used it before and reckon it is probably OK I told my Mac to open it anyway. I've scanned the Mac with Malwarebytes and it didn't flag up anything.

tt2

Mar 13, 2021 10:59 AM in response to turingtest2

I spoke too soon. The only thing that shows up on my MacBook is album covers without the artwork for sixty CD's that I loaded. The music isn't there and doesn't play. The only music that plays is music that is also available for download through Apple Music. When you scroll over these albums there is also a circle with three dots.

Fortunately, I didn't erase the music from my iPhone because all of it is still available.

Mar 15, 2021 3:35 PM in response to turingtest2

I checked the status as you suggested and nothing was uploading. I purchased the AnyTrans app and after two tries was able to transfer the music files from my iPhone to my MacBook Pro. After that, I was able to upload the music files from my MacBook Pro to iCloud Music using my iTunes Match subscription.

Then I ran into a problem sharing the Music Library with family members. Part of the problem may have been caused by one family member having an inactive Apple ID. I contacted Apple Support and they reactivated the Apple ID and I was able to delete the family member.

But I was still unable to share the music on my wife's iPad and iPhone. This problem was fixed when I went into the settings on her iPad and under Music changed the Apple ID that is linked to music purchases from her Apple ID to mine. Fortunately, she had never used Apple Music so no music was lost. Bottom line - everything is up and running and we're working on making some play lists for our next road trip. Thanks for all the help.

Syncing music from iPhone to MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.