Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods Max don't wake from sleep

For the second time in a week my AirPods Max didn't power up when I put them on after removing them from their case, where they were presumably in the ultra-low power state -- no chime, no battery level display on my phone, no response to fiddling with the controls. Thinking the battery might be fully discharged I connected them to a charger and -- voilá! -- they woke up. The pop-up window on my phone showed battery charge at 80%. Anyone experiencing a similar problem?

(This may or may not be the best place to ask this question, but I'm unable to find a community specifically dedicated to AirPods problems.)

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 10:11 PM

I have to plug them into power each time then they connect - doing the reset of Digital Crown and noise cancelling button gets no response even after 15 seconds

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 11, 2021 7:16 PM in response to barberlives123

I'd like to say that yes, we have reset our APM's.. In fact, this is happening on both of mine, I had to purchased a SECOND pair in order to "depend" on them while working, thinking that this was something I'd have to take physically into Apple to explain, as numerous calls and troubleshooting always led to "reset your APM's" which is ludicrous. Also the first pair I got became so bad on 3C39 that they now no longer respond unless plugged in first. Which would be great if we knew to do this. Still kinda defeats the purpose of "Always on". Just give us a power switch toggle. Or fix the issue.

My second issue is that even though I turn off "Auto on head detection" and I turn off the "Automatically" connect randomly to any of my Apple devises that I may touch while listening to something on the other, and then spend 10 min getting the "It just works" devise to recognize which device I want to go back to. This is such a poor user experience right now. My other Noise Cancelling headphones just work, with a power switch. Because if I must "reset" again, I must one-by-one go around and reconfigure each device to never "automatically" do anything, or it randomly jumps around. I have a MacBook, Mac mini, iPhone, and iPad. But I primarily use the APM's on the Mac-mini, and only manually connect when I need them on the other devices.

Fix the firmware please!! Take out the unneeded "automatic" stuff, and let the user actually use the expensive device as we intended to.

May 9, 2021 11:28 AM in response to Todd Jonz

I have exactly the same problem, after waiting 4 months to Apple to release some software update that fixes the problem, I decided to call Apple support, I had to open a ticket, make an appointment, and go the Apple store in Paseo de Gracia in Barcelona. They send them to repair, it took a week, and I had to go back to the store to pick them up, and surprise, they haven't solved anything, the AirPods Max continue discharging in their case during the night.

So I had to open a ticket again, make an appointment again, and go again the Apple store in Paseo de Gracia in Barcelona. And after some tests and questions, the answer from Apple is that they are aware that some users are suffering this problem, but they don't have a solution yet. So, they cannot do anything else. It supposed to be a premium product.

Extremely disappointing product and ever worse Apple post-sale service.

Mar 14, 2021 5:02 PM in response to Todd Jonz

Hi Todd Jonz,

It sounds like your AirPods Max aren't waking up from sleep. We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities, and we can provide some assistance.

You're doing the right thing by connecting them to a charger. If the issue happens again and connecting them to the charger doesn't wake them, let's follow the steps in How to reset your AirPods Max.

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

AirPods Max don't wake from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.