Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAJOR iPHONE MUSIC ISSUES (Albums mostly) - Songs being renamed and clumped

STATS

• New iPhone 12 Pro
  • iPhone 14.4
  • MAC desktop Catalina 10.15.7

WHAT I TRIED ALREADY

I deleted some albums entirely and then dragged the individual songs from the Music program / app back to the phone. I also did this with some individual songs. This was done after turning the phone off and then on again.  Twice (hoping it might help).

I reviewed all song labeling information - on an ipod, for example, ZERO

issue with albums being sorted as I have named them.  However, on the iPhone, there are major issues.

KEY ISSUES

1. For one band:
    1. I see their album under "albums," but not all the songs are IN it. 
    2. HOWEVER, all the songs do individually appear under the "songs" tab / list. 
    3. The artist is also NOT listed under "artists" in spite of the fact that their individual songs show up in the "songs" list (as just mentioned).
  2. Within "albums," some songs are not showing at all, but they are showing under "songs." (similar problem to #1 above)
  3. Within "albums," some songs are listed with a number beside them - what do these numbers mean?
  4. Within "albums," some songs are not showing individually and with the artists'

names (as they should), but rather they are titled with the name of an OLD iTunes playlist (which I haven't used in ages).  Please note that this playlist name is NOT within the "info" or sorting information. 

And...Some songs are not showing up in the parent album (as they are labeled / sorted in their "get info" area, but on separate albums.

I'd like to AVOID having to erase / remove all songs from the phone and redo them if at all possible.  These songs have been put on the phone individually (and over many years). I do not want to sync / add every song in my

HUGE iTunes / Music library.  I would have to spend hours at it to do

it this way! I have about 7,500 songs and only want about 2,000.

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!!!

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 2:15 PM

In the Songs view of the library enable the Grouping and Work columns. My guess is that you're going to find unwanted data in the Work field. This field should be empty unless you've filled in movement name and number. Work may have inherited values that were previously in Grouping due to a change Apple made some time back.

If I've misunderstood the issue please post a screenshot illustrating the problem.

tt2

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2021 2:15 PM in response to PLMFB

In the Songs view of the library enable the Grouping and Work columns. My guess is that you're going to find unwanted data in the Work field. This field should be empty unless you've filled in movement name and number. Work may have inherited values that were previously in Grouping due to a change Apple made some time back.

If I've misunderstood the issue please post a screenshot illustrating the problem.

tt2

Mar 12, 2021 2:21 PM in response to turingtest2

SUPER appreciative of your reply! Embarrassed to say I'm not ultra tech savvy - where might I find the place to do this? Did you mean a library on the phone or MAC desktop (sorry for the lack of knowledge)!

I feel like there is something going on with song grouping (although not immediately obvious with "get info").

Thanks so much again!

Mar 12, 2021 2:24 PM in response to turingtest2

Oh! I found what you meant! I do see that WORK has some groupings there...

Under "Grouping" I have indeed put certain "names" (I do that to help me keep track of what is currently on my nano. For example, "Nano Oct 2016"...which is exactly what is showing up on the iPhone)! Perhaps I need to review the "Work" section and maybe try deleting that "tag" / "name"... I never even knew "work" existed!

Mar 12, 2021 2:31 PM in response to PLMFB

Great, that confirms my suspicion. You can select a range of tracks, press Cmd+i to get Song Info, tick the Use work and movement box, click into the Work field and delete any value that is there, then untick the work & movement check box and click OK. Try syncing and see if the clears things up on the phone. Start with a small selection as proof of concept, but I suspect that is what you need to do. You should be able to leave the values in Grouping should you want to refer to them in future.

tt2

MAJOR iPHONE MUSIC ISSUES (Albums mostly) - Songs being renamed and clumped

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.