Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dotted circle for songs no longer available on iPhone -- How to prevent?

One of my LONG TERM frustrations with Apple is how my phone constantly "loses" music from the music app. This problem seems to focus almost exclusively on music and albums that I have imported from CDs that I purchased back in the past. I have a LOT of that music, and I want it on my phone since I am frequently out of cell coverage in the PNW. It is VERY frustrating than being out in the middle of nowhere, thinking about a song/album that you KNOW you have, and then it is no longer on your phone. The frustration is worse because the problem seems almost entirely focused on music I didn't buy from Apple.

The good news is that I have figured out that I can reinstall the songs by unchecking the "Sync Music" option; applying that, disconnecting from iTunes, restarting the phone, reconnecting to iTunes, and then rechecking the "Sync Music" option. But since I have so much music, it takes over two hours to copy all of it from my computer to my phone.

So back to the question: How do I stop my iPhone from deleting or otherwise making my music unavailable on my phone?

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 11:37 AM

Try Edit > Preferences > Devices > Reset Sync History (if available) and then try syncing once more.

If that hasn't helped try signing out of the iTunes Store on the device and then try again.

Otherwise see this post on erratic syncing.

I don't know how/if you can prevent it ever happening again.

tt2

1 reply

Dotted circle for songs no longer available on iPhone -- How to prevent?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.