Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone SE (with broken home button) froze during IOS 14 install

Hi,

BACKGROUND: My iPhone SE has a non-functioning home button (I use the on-screen button for navigation). I primarily use the SE for music/audiobooks. It's not my day-today phone. So I have no problems losing all the data on the SE or doing a factory reset.

WHAT'S BEEN DONE SO FAR: I downloaded the latest IOS update for the SE last night. During software extraction, the screen just froze (white screen with the black apple logo and about 1/4 progress bar). Then iTunes stopped recognising the device. Nothing I tried last night worked to change the frozen screen (obviously I cannot do a hard reset with no functioning home button). I also tried new USB cables and different USB ports.

I let the SE's battery drain overnight and plugged it in again this morning. Got past the red battery screen. Then it went to the black screen with the USB and a 'screen' image on it. It now seems to flick between the white/apple logo screen and the black/USB screen. iTunes still does not recognise the device. I went through all the available 'fixes' listed on the Apple Support page (https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201263) but when nothing worked the final option is - Contact Apple Support. When you do this and choose the problem/serial number - there is no free Apple Support available for this product.

QUESTION: Is there any way I can reset the SE to make it work again? At moment the SE is just a black/USB screen of nothingness. I don't want to pay Apple for their support. If I have to simply throw the device away - that's ok(ish) but I'd like to exhaust all the avenues first.

Any assistance here would be gratefully received.

Thanks

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2021 6:28 PM

No. You'll need to have the screen replaced which will install a new home button. Otherwise, you have a black screen paperweight. Personally, it would not be worth the investment.

Similar questions

6 replies

iphone SE (with broken home button) froze during IOS 14 install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.