Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I Upgraded iCloud but Photos says "Not enough iCloud Storage"

I am using an iPhone 7 with iOS 14.4 and I've recently started doing more video recording during Lockdown in UK. I already have a large photo library built up over many years (nearly 14,000) but I've recently added more videos and I'm up to 195 videos. This morning I got messages that it could no longer backup to iCloud because there was not enough room (I was using a 50GB contract) so I upgraded to 200GB but Photos has refused to recognise the space either on my Mac or on the Phone. Turning the iCloud storage off/on on the Mac sorted that problem but it is not so simple on the phone!

If I try to turn the iCloud off for Photos on the Phone I am presented with the option to either lose or else download the photos that have been "optimised" – a cool 4,400 photos. With slower rural broadband that is going to take an absolute age !!!

Is there another way to get Photos to recognise the storage I have purchased?

I have already tried repeated shutdown/restarts of the Phone, as well as forcibly removing the open Photos app (by flicking it upwards).

Help or suggestions please.

iPhone 7, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 13, 2021 4:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 6:42 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Peterthegardener!

We understand your iPhone is not recognizing the upgraded storage. We'd be happy to provide information to help you address this.

If you select the option on your iPhone to remove the photos, they will remain in iCloud. You can confirm this by going to iCloud.com on your Mac. Removing them from your iPhone will be easier than waiting for them all to download, and this way you can sort the issue with the storage not being detected.

We hope this clears things up.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2021 6:42 AM in response to Peterthegardener

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Peterthegardener!

We understand your iPhone is not recognizing the upgraded storage. We'd be happy to provide information to help you address this.

If you select the option on your iPhone to remove the photos, they will remain in iCloud. You can confirm this by going to iCloud.com on your Mac. Removing them from your iPhone will be easier than waiting for them all to download, and this way you can sort the issue with the storage not being detected.

We hope this clears things up.

Have a great day!

I Upgraded iCloud but Photos says "Not enough iCloud Storage"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.