You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create a vertical line between columns in Pages?

I'm creating a Pages (10.1) document and sections of it have two columns.

I want to put a vertical line between the columns. Can't find a way to do this.

In MS Word it's very easy - create columns, select the column button and check the box for vertical line.

In Pages I just can't find any way to do this - and the Help doesn't mention it at all.

Perhaps there's no way to do it? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Posted on Mar 13, 2021 2:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2021 3:48 PM

Hi David,

The likely reason for Help not mentioning this is that it is not a supported feature in Pages, so you need to do it 'manually.'

Click the Shapes button. Choose the Line shape (top left).

In the Format inspector:

Arrange:

Change text wrap to none.

Change Rotate to 90°

Experiment to determine the behaviour differences between Move with Text and Stay on Page when you add text above the two column area (if applicable).

If the change from one to two column to one column always occurs at the beginning or end of a Section, Stay on Page is likely the better setting, OR you could Move the object (line) to the Section Master (after placing it in the right location on the page).

Placing it on the Section Master will make the line appear on every page in that section.

Style:

Change the Stroke thickness to your preferred value.

Adjust colour, if desired.

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 13, 2021 3:48 PM in response to David King1

Hi David,

The likely reason for Help not mentioning this is that it is not a supported feature in Pages, so you need to do it 'manually.'

Click the Shapes button. Choose the Line shape (top left).

In the Format inspector:

Arrange:

Change text wrap to none.

Change Rotate to 90°

Experiment to determine the behaviour differences between Move with Text and Stay on Page when you add text above the two column area (if applicable).

If the change from one to two column to one column always occurs at the beginning or end of a Section, Stay on Page is likely the better setting, OR you could Move the object (line) to the Section Master (after placing it in the right location on the page).

Placing it on the Section Master will make the line appear on every page in that section.

Style:

Change the Stroke thickness to your preferred value.

Adjust colour, if desired.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 13, 2021 3:51 PM in response to Barry

Thanks, Barry.

Hmmm .... that's a lot of work to get this done. I wonder why it's not a feature in Pages ... given that Pages seems to be designed to be a desktop publisher (going by the templates included).

Thank you for taking the trouble to explain all this. I'll give it a shot - but, as I said, it seems to be a lot of work for something that really should be part of Pages.

Cheers,

Mar 13, 2021 5:30 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks. I get that.

In my humble opinion, a line between columns is hardly a 'pro' feature. It is a very basic feature for newsletters and suchlike.

I've been using Macs since 1990's Classic and have come to expect that Apple do better than the competition. Especially since MS Word was first developed on a Mac! (I still have my original 3.5" Word v.1 discs and manual.)

Anyway ... just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth.

I got here because I'm trying to move away from Word and am kicking the tires at Pages. I'm a solo musician and keep my lyrics on an iPad. I use columns a LOT and the vertical line is really helpful to me.

Perhaps Pages isn't going to work for me ... though I'll give it a fair shot.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Cheers,

Mar 13, 2021 10:40 PM in response to David King1

You can provide feedback directly to the Pages product team from its application menu. A few of us were posting hand-tooled drop-cap solutions here for years before Pages finally received a built-in drop-cap feature.

You could keep a separate Pages document with your vertical line shape, and any other frequently used objects that you open with your main document. Then, copy/paste into the main Pages document as you need them.

A lot has changed since the Apple Classic and classic MacOS. Too many hardware lines of business, each with a variation of the operating system to support it. Compressed delivery schedules and great applications do not mix.

How do I create a vertical line between columns in Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.