Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The folder “Library” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.

I recently found this folder in my Documents folder and cannot access it because I "don't have permission to see its contents". I don't want to delete it as I don't know what is in it.

Can anyone help me understand what is going on?

Macintosh HD > Users > MacBookAir > Documents

Thank you

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2021 8:02 AM

Hello guiga,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're unable to open a folder within your Documents due to permissions.

Use the following article to try and change the permissions so you can access the contents of that file: Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac. That link is for macOS Big Sur. If you're running a different macOS, just select it from the drop down for the specific steps for your current macOS.

We hope that helps, but if you have any further questions please reach back out.

Cheers.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2021 8:02 AM in response to guiga

Hello guiga,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're unable to open a folder within your Documents due to permissions.

Use the following article to try and change the permissions so you can access the contents of that file: Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac. That link is for macOS Big Sur. If you're running a different macOS, just select it from the drop down for the specific steps for your current macOS.

We hope that helps, but if you have any further questions please reach back out.

Cheers.

The folder “Library” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.