Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Horrible NVME SSD Write Speeds on M1 Mac mini Only on the USBC Port

Out of absolute NOWHERE did my NVME SSD drive start performing horribly on my M1 Mac Mini. This SSD was working beautifully for weeks with speeds as fast as 900mb/s read and write until today JUST the read speeds got down to no faster than 5mb/s. Strangely it is only slow on the read performance if I use the USBC port. If I use the USB 3 Port it works flawlessly.

Interestingly enough, this drive works beautifully on my Intel MacBook Pro. So this issue is isolated to my NVME SSD and only to my USBC.

Does anybody know what is going on here and why this happening out of nowhere?

WTF.

PS am using perfectly working data USBC Cables in all my tests. See the wild results below.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 5:14 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 16, 2021 9:28 AM in response to ben1257sb

Hey there ben1257sb,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having issues with the transfer speeds when using the USB-C port on your Mac mini, and we'd be happy to take a closer look into what's going on.

To get started, can you let us know if this issue occurs when using a different cable with your external SSD drive? Also, take a look at the steps listed in the following resource that may help with the issue you're experiencing: If a USB device doesn’t work with Mac - Apple Support

If the issue continues after going through the steps above, let's also test the issue in safe mode. Safe mode is a great way to determine whether an issue is caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up. For help with testing the issue in safe mode, and what to do if the issue doesn't occur in safe mode, check out this link here: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Keep us updated on the results.

Have a great day!

Horrible NVME SSD Write Speeds on M1 Mac mini Only on the USBC Port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.