Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Line Spacing in Apple Pages

Hello, I have a question about line spacing in Apple Pages. It seems line spacing for a font on some Mac applications can be determined by the hhea table Asc, Desc and LineGap values. For my font, I require very tight line spacing which in MS Word on a mac will produce clipping of accents above and below characters. While Apple pages appears to follow hhea spacing for more conventionally vertically spaced fonts, when the spacing is very tight, Pages seems to give up and make its own calculation for spacing. Unfortunately I want the spacing for this tightly spaced font to be identical for MS Word and Apple Pages. Any ideas on how to achieve this? Thanks.

Posted on Mar 14, 2021 7:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 6:59 AM

You achieve Word-specific features by using Word. Pages is not a Word clone, and if you are ultimately exporting to Word from Pages, it must translate the document contents. Apple does not guarantee that result, and Pages uses a different layout manager from Word to add to the woes.

That said, the Spacing section of Pages offers an exact setting that can be tuned to a fraction of a point. Here is an example of Libertinus Serif Regular (OT PS) at 16pt but with spacing set to exactly 10.5 pt.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2021 6:59 AM in response to Shrike59

You achieve Word-specific features by using Word. Pages is not a Word clone, and if you are ultimately exporting to Word from Pages, it must translate the document contents. Apple does not guarantee that result, and Pages uses a different layout manager from Word to add to the woes.

That said, the Spacing section of Pages offers an exact setting that can be tuned to a fraction of a point. Here is an example of Libertinus Serif Regular (OT PS) at 16pt but with spacing set to exactly 10.5 pt.

Line Spacing in Apple Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.