Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create correct total sum using Numbers.

I have compiled a spread sheet using Numbers with a list of accounts with a value of each in the end column set to two decimal places. I have the INSET button at the top set to SUM (ie, E1:E6) but the total only shows the £'s and no pence. Neither will it show the thousands comma which it does in the individual values. For example, if the total is £1,234.56, it only shows as £1234.

I had read all the other posts relating to Numbers but cannot see a solution.

Can anyone offer a solution please?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 4:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 2:50 PM

brbrown wrote:
There seems to be no way for me to set decimal places and the thousands separator. Only by using the Formula Edit box

I thought you created a custom format. You mentioned creating a "rule". If you choose one of the other built-in formats instead of "automatic", either number or currency for example, are there no settings for decimal places and thousands separator?

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2021 2:50 PM in response to brbrown

brbrown wrote:
There seems to be no way for me to set decimal places and the thousands separator. Only by using the Formula Edit box

I thought you created a custom format. You mentioned creating a "rule". If you choose one of the other built-in formats instead of "automatic", either number or currency for example, are there no settings for decimal places and thousands separator?

Mar 15, 2021 5:01 AM in response to brbrown

I am sorry I do not fully understand your question. I do not know what an "INSET button at the top" is. I am assuming you have a formula in the column similar to =SUM(E1:E6). It should have automatically picked up the format from the cells you are summing but, if it is different for some reason, you would set it the same way you did the other cells.

Mar 15, 2021 1:35 PM in response to Badunit

I don't remember what it was like before as it has been quite a while since I last updated the sheet but the attached image is a screen shot of how it is now. I am sorry but I can't show the last column as the information is rather private. Oh, and my version of Numbers is 11.2.3. There seems to be no way for me to set decimal places and the thousands separator. Only by using the Formula Edit box

Mar 15, 2021 9:17 AM in response to Badunit

Hello Badunit. My apologies, I should have said INSERT which is on the tool bar at the top where I can set the formula and the formula is =SUM(E!:E6) However, I get a completely different layout to yours in the righthand column, after clicking CELL. I don't know how I can set the decimal places anymore. Things have changed since my last two Big Sur updates. I am using Numbers version 10.3.9. There doesn't appear to be another update yet.

Mar 15, 2021 9:41 AM in response to brbrown

I have the same version as you. Big Sur and 10.3.9. That sidebar has been about the same, if not exactly the same, for quite a long time.

If you don't mind, would you put the cell format back like it was before you created a custom format for it, then take a screenshot of what you are seeing. I am curious what you are seeing. It might help if the screenshot showed that section of the table with the cell and some or all of the cells being summed.

Create correct total sum using Numbers.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.