Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update password/code for iPad

There is an update available for my iPad. When I click the update button a window pops up looking for a pass code. It’s rejects the passcode both my iPad and my Apple ID. What passcode is it looking for? I have tested my Apple ID and it is correct. iPad password works just fine. There are no text messages from Apple. Which password are they looking for? I have 2 failed attempts so far. I am sure a third will just shut the whole thing down. An anyone advise what to do? Thanks Deborah

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2021 9:44 AM

No details here of your iPad model or currently installed version of iOS/iPadOS.

If the problem does not relate to the iPad lock-screen Passcode, have you perhaps set-up ScreenTime restrictions? If so, depending upon the configured settings, you may need to enter the ScreenTime Passcode.

Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions

If this is the issue - and you have forgotten the ScreenTime Passcode - dependent upon the age/model of your iPad, the ScreenTime Passcode can be reset using one of the two procedures outlined within this link:

If you forgot your Screen Time passcode - Apple Support

The more recent iPadOS updates have introduced a new mechanism whereby a forgotten ScreenTime passcode can be reset without wiping the iPad.

To reset a forgotten ScreenTime passcode on older versions of iOS/iPadOS, the iPad must be reset “as new”, losing all locally stored data. In this situation, you’ll not be able to restore your data from an iCloud or iTunes backup - as the forgotten passcode is integral to the backup.

I hope this information and explanation is helpful to you. If you have a different issue, we’ll need more specific information.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2021 9:44 AM in response to deborahfromdublin

No details here of your iPad model or currently installed version of iOS/iPadOS.

If the problem does not relate to the iPad lock-screen Passcode, have you perhaps set-up ScreenTime restrictions? If so, depending upon the configured settings, you may need to enter the ScreenTime Passcode.

Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions

If this is the issue - and you have forgotten the ScreenTime Passcode - dependent upon the age/model of your iPad, the ScreenTime Passcode can be reset using one of the two procedures outlined within this link:

If you forgot your Screen Time passcode - Apple Support

The more recent iPadOS updates have introduced a new mechanism whereby a forgotten ScreenTime passcode can be reset without wiping the iPad.

To reset a forgotten ScreenTime passcode on older versions of iOS/iPadOS, the iPad must be reset “as new”, losing all locally stored data. In this situation, you’ll not be able to restore your data from an iCloud or iTunes backup - as the forgotten passcode is integral to the backup.

I hope this information and explanation is helpful to you. If you have a different issue, we’ll need more specific information.

Update password/code for iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.